When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Fort Walton Beach, FL, you will soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fort Walton Beach, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, it is very important to evaluate all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical experience compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students undertake their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might like to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain many forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which are often very different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Fort Walton Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Fort Walton Beach, FL reviewed by Serenity HAWKINS on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.