As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Framingham, MA, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Framingham, MA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, be sure that you evaluate all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will learn about the full variety of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members can be driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you should check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Framingham, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In MA, licensing is controlled by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include quite a few forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Framingham, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Framingham, MA reviewed by Ava WALLACE on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.