Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Freeport, TX, you will probably quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Freeport, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, be sure that you think about all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is important that your course work is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Freeport, TX
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Freeport, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Freeport, TX reviewed by Adam COLEMAN on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.