Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Freeport, TX, you will probably quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Freeport, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, be sure that you think about all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is important that your course work is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Freeport, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Freeport, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Freeport, TX reviewed by Adam COLEMAN on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.