As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gainesville, FL, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistantpay is over $53,000 yearly making it amongthe best paying medical vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, you might want to think about all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school thatsatisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is important that yourschooling is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schoolsdesignate significantly more time on your actual clinical trainingas compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may varyconsiderably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue that you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were , and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapy Assistant
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year beingprimarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent working onhands on learning in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,healthcare jargon , and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simplywant a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapiststarted their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will have tobecome licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensure is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of themand can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessedand be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will containnumerous forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites . It is recommended to take a very thorough look through thepaper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needswhich are often very different compared to the previous patient . You may be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills , some of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will beplenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Gainesville, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gainesville, FL reviewed by Mackenzie WILLIS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.