As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Galena Park, TX, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Galena Park, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, make sure you analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders making it imperative that your training is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often times pushed aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Galena Park, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs that could be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Galena Park, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Galena Park, TX reviewed by Tyler COLLINS on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.