When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Garden City, GA, you will soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying medical professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Garden City, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a training program, you might want to examine all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diverse rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are frequently pushed aside as students continue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you want to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Garden City, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Garden City, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Garden City, GA reviewed by Damian RUSSELL on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.