Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gardena, CA, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistantearnings is over $53,000 per year making it amongstthe highest paying medical professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gardena, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, make sure you consider all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatfulfills all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it important that yourschooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolsdesignate substantially more time on your actual laboratory trainingcompared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of may varyconsiderably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be pushed aside as students continue their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were , and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Gardena, CA
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year beingmostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working onhands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,medical terminology , and physical rehab. All States that require licensure justrequire a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have tobecome licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is handled by the Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of themand include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessedand be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will containnumerous forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites . It is recommended to take a very extensive look through thepaper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcriptsrequired ; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needswhich are often different in comparison to the previous patient . You might be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills , a few of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encountermany instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Gardena, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gardena, CA reviewed by Amelia WELLS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.