When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Garfield Heights, OH, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Garfield Heights, OH
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Garfield Heights, OH
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Ohio, licensing is administered by the Ohio Occupational Therapy Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainers Board. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which may be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Garfield Heights, OH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Garfield Heights, OH reviewed by Shawn BENNETT on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.