Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gatesville, TX, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gatesville, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are oftentimes driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you ought to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Gatesville, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include numerous forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that will be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Gatesville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gatesville, TX reviewed by Hannah FREEMAN on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.