When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gilbert, AZ, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying health care occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gilbert, AZ
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatfits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is essential that yourcourse work is very extensive instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolsallocate significantly more time on your actual practical experiencewhen compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of will varysignificantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones tend to be driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were , and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Gilbert, AZ
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year beingprimarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent working onhands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,clinical terms , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simplywant a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapiststarted their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will have tobecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Arizona, licensing is administered by the Arizona Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of themand include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessedand be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will includequite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable sites . It is important to take a very thorough look through theforms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcriptswanted ; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needsthat may be very different in comparison to the previous patient . You may be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills , a couple of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will bemany instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Gilbert, AZ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gilbert, AZ reviewed by Harper WEBB on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.