When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Glen Rock, NJ, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical-related occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Glen Rock, NJ
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a training program, be sure that you examine all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is really important that your training is very diverse and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with others. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Glen Rock, NJ
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is controlled by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain a number of forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Glen Rock, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Glen Rock, NJ reviewed by Bentley SANDERS on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.