When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Godfrey, IL, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying healthcare professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Godfrey, IL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you might want to consider all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is imperative that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often pushed aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you ought to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Godfrey, IL
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is handled by the Illinois Occupational Therapy Board. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include several forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Godfrey, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Godfrey, IL reviewed by Layla CRAWFORD on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.