Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Goleta, CA, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U .S . Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantwage is over $53,000 yearly making it right there withthe best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Goleta, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program thatmeets all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is important that yourcourse work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolscommit significantly more time on your actual practical trainingin comparison to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of may varysignificantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are frequently driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were , and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Goleta, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting ofprimarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent going throughhands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,healthcare terms , and physical rehab. All States that require licensure justrequire a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need tobecome licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is handled by the Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of themand include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be examinedand be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will containquite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy websites . It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through theforms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needswhich are often completely different compared to the previous patient . You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills , some of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will bemany instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Goleta, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Goleta, CA reviewed by Kaylee MASON on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.