After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Grafton, WI, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grafton, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to others. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times pushed aside as students pursue their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Grafton, WI
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain several forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Grafton, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grafton, WI reviewed by Ariana OLSON on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.