Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Graham, NC, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Graham, NC
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, it is very important to evaluate all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diverse instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other schools. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often times driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might want to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Graham, NC
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
- Associate of Applied Science Physical Therapist Assistant
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In North Carolina, licensing is administered by the North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include a number of forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Graham, NC that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Graham, NC reviewed by Lily MCDONALD on June 1.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.