When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Grass Valley, CA, you can expect to soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grass Valley, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, it is very important to think about all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will be taught the full array of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders making it very important that your course work is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household will often be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Grass Valley, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Respiratory Therapy
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain many forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which can be different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Grass Valley, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grass Valley, CA reviewed by Dominic RAMIREZ on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.