After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Greendale, WI, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greendale, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, you might want to examine all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online classes can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you need to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Greendale, WI
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administered by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain many forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Greendale, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greendale, WI reviewed by Elizabeth OWENS on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.