As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Greeneville, TN, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greeneville, TN
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, it is important to analyze all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it really important that your training is very extensive instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Greeneville, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is handled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Greeneville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Greeneville, TN reviewed by Jayden MILLER on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.