Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Grover Beach, CA, you can expect to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grover Beach, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders making it imperative that your training is very extensive instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Grover Beach, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Grover Beach, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Grover Beach, CA reviewed by Isaiah PEREZ on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.