When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Gulfport, FL, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gulfport, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, it is important to analyze all of your options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience compared to others. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many of us online classes can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you want to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Gulfport, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Gulfport, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Gulfport, FL reviewed by Kimberly CARPENTER on June 3.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.