Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Half Moon Bay, CA, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Half Moon Bay, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, you might want to examine all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it essential that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical experience as compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Half Moon Bay, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
- Respiratory Therapy
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain a number of forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which are often very different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Half Moon Bay, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Half Moon Bay, CA reviewed by Brandon COOK on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.