After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hanapepe, HI, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hanapepe, HI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, make sure that you think about all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it essential that your training is very diversified and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Hanapepe, HI
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In HI, licensing is handled by the Hawaii Professional & Vocational Licensing Division. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs that could be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Hanapepe, HI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hanapepe, HI reviewed by Madison JORDAN on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.