After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Harker Heights, TX, you will soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying medical professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Harker Heights, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Harker Heights, TX
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which are often very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Harker Heights, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Harker Heights, TX reviewed by Avery ELLIS on June 15.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.