After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Harrington, DE, you should soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Harrington, DE
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a training program, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical training compared to others. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you need to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Harrington, DE
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In DE, licensing is administrated by the Delaware Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs which may be completely different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Harrington, DE that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Harrington, DE reviewed by Autumn MATTHEWS on June 1.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.