As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hastings, NE, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hastings, NE
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, it is important to examine all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are oftentimes driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you want to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Hastings, NE
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In NE, licensing is administrated by the Nebraska Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain quite a few forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hastings, NE that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hastings, NE reviewed by Carson PATTERSON on June 5.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.