Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hawaiian Gardens, CA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hawaiian Gardens, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a training program, you will need to consider all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full array of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders making it important that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you have to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Hawaiian Gardens, CA
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling Studies
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include numerous forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hawaiian Gardens, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hawaiian Gardens, CA reviewed by Nathan HERNANDEZ on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.