When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hercules, CA, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hercules, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, you might want to examine all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones can be pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you might like to examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Hercules, CA
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs that could be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hercules, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hercules, CA reviewed by Ethan WILLIAMS on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.