Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Herrin, IL, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying health care professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Herrin, IL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it important that your training is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household will often be driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue that you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Herrin, IL
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is handled by the Illinois Occupational Therapy Board. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain many forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Herrin, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Herrin, IL reviewed by Ellie HARPER on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.