Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Highland, CA, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Highland, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it crucial that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones will often be pushed aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Highland, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Highland, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Highland, CA reviewed by Tom WATSON on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.