When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Highland Village, TX, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Highland Village, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are sometimes driven aside as students carry on their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might want to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Highland Village, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include numerous forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Highland Village, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Highland Village, TX reviewed by Nathaniel PERRY on June 1.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.