When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Hopkinton, MA, you will probably quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hopkinton, MA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, it is very important to analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Hopkinton, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is controlled by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain several forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Hopkinton, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Hopkinton, MA reviewed by Avery ELLIS on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.