When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Humble, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Humble, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, it is important to analyze all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you ought to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Humble, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Humble, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Humble, TX reviewed by Kaylee MASON on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.