As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Huntington, WV, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Huntington, WV
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, make sure you examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Huntington, WV
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is administered by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain quite a few forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Huntington, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Huntington, WV reviewed by Hudson FOSTER on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.