As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Huntington, WV, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Huntington, WV
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, make sure you examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Huntington, WV
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is administered by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain quite a few forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Huntington, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Huntington, WV reviewed by Hudson FOSTER on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.