Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Jeannette, PA, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Jeannette, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, you will need to consider all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will be taught the full array of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very diverse and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important factor to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you need to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Jeannette, PA
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- And more...
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain many forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Jeannette, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Jeannette, PA reviewed by Tristan FLORES on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.