After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Jennings, MO, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying health care professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Jennings, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, you might want to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you will learn about the full range of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are oftentimes pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might like to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Jennings, MO
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include quite a few forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs which can be very different compared to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Jennings, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Jennings, MO reviewed by Sofia MARSHALL on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.