Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Johnson City, NY, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Johnson City, NY
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, be sure that you evaluate all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full array of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are frequently pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might like to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Johnson City, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensing is handled by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain many forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that will be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Johnson City, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Johnson City, NY reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.