As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Katy, TX, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying health care professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Katy, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, you will need to analyze all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are often driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you might like to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Katy, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs which may be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Katy, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Katy, TX reviewed by Carson PATTERSON on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.