Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kendall, FL, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantwage is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongstthe highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kendall, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, you might want to analyze all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school thatmatches all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured you will be taught the full range of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders making it really important that yourschooling is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolsdesignate significantly more time on your actual practical trainingcompared to others. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may varysignificantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail that you have to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their reviews were , and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Kendall, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting ofmainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working onhands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,clinical jargon , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simplyrequire a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have tobecome certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensure is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of themand include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessedand be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to containmany forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites . It is recommended to take a very in depth look through theforms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needswhich may be totally different the previous patient . You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills , some of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will beplenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Kendall, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kendall, FL reviewed by Morgan ANDREWS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.