Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kenner, LA, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying health care vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kenner, LA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very diversified and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones tend to be driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Kenner, LA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In LA, licensing is administered by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs that could be different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Kenner, LA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kenner, LA reviewed by Mia WEST on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.