When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Key Biscayne, FL, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Key Biscayne, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, it is important to think about all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical training when compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you ought to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Key Biscayne, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that may be different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Key Biscayne, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Key Biscayne, FL reviewed by London BRADLEY on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.