Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kilgore, TX, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying health care careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kilgore, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Kilgore, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain many forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that will be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Kilgore, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kilgore, TX reviewed by Wyatt MITCHELL on June 3.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.