Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kilgore, TX, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying health care careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kilgore, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Kilgore, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain many forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that will be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Kilgore, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kilgore, TX reviewed by Wyatt MITCHELL on June 3.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.