Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kingsland, GA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kingsland, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, it is important to evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it really important that your training is very extensive and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes driven aside while students continue their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing that you have to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Kingsland, GA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include several forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that may be different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Kingsland, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kingsland, GA reviewed by Emma HAMILTON on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.