As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kingston, PA, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it among the best paying health care occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kingston, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, make sure you analyze all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders so it is really important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household will often be pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Kingston, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with young children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Kingston, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kingston, PA reviewed by Wyatt ROGERS on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.