As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Kirksville, MO, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kirksville, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, make sure that you consider all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is essential that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you should look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Kirksville, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain many forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs which are often different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Kirksville, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Kirksville, MO reviewed by Chloe REYNOLDS on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.