Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Knoxville, TN, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there withthe highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Knoxville, TN
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a school, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school thatsuits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders therefore it is really important that yourcourse work is very extensive rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolsdesignate substantially more time on your actual clinical trainingcompared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can varyconsiderably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were , and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Knoxville, TN
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Occupational Therapy Assistant
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- AAS Physical Therapist Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year beingpredominantly class-room training and with the second year spent working onhands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,clinical terminology , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure onlywant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapiststarted their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers mustbecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is handled by the Tennessee Department of Health Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of themand include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examinedand be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will containmany forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites . It is important to take a very extensive look through theforms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needsthat may be very different compared to the previous patient . You might be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills , a couple of the basics like following direction , keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will haveseveral instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Knoxville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Knoxville, TN reviewed by Noah JONES on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.