When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lake Station, IN, you are going to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Station, IN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, it is very important to evaluate all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones can be pushed aside as students pursue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you ought to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Station, IN
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Indiana, licensing is controlled by the Indiana Occupational Therapy Committee. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lake Station, IN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Station, IN reviewed by Brody BUTLER on June 3.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.