When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lathrop, CA, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying health care vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lathrop, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a school, make sure that you analyze all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might like to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lathrop, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which are often different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lathrop, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lathrop, CA reviewed by Chase BENNETT on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.