After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lawrenceburg, TN, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lawrenceburg, TN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, it is very important to think about all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members can be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might like to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lawrenceburg, TN
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Occupational Therapy Assistant
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- AAS Physical Therapist Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administrated by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include numerous forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lawrenceburg, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lawrenceburg, TN reviewed by Kevin TORRES on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.