After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lawrenceburg, TN, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lawrenceburg, TN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, it is very important to think about all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members can be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might like to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lawrenceburg, TN
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administrated by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include numerous forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lawrenceburg, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lawrenceburg, TN reviewed by Kevin TORRES on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.