When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Leawood, KS, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Leawood, KS
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, make sure that you consider all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Leawood, KS
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Kansas, licensing is administrated by the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain a number of forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that could be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Leawood, KS that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Leawood, KS reviewed by Antoine WALKER on June 7.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.