After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lemoore, CA, you will soon discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying medical vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lemoore, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, you will need to think about all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will learn about the full array of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diverse and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Lemoore, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include a number of forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which can be different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lemoore, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lemoore, CA reviewed by Mason JOHNSON on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.